logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Parakeet
Parakeet
I agree with the theory that there's a double standard. With that being said, I just couldn't do it to my child.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
I object.....

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
By reinforcing the double standard we teach our children to continue it. Until women decide to become equal citizens, we will always be second class. We are our own worst enemies.

Jan Goldfield

Zebra
Zebra
Quote:
By reinforcing the double standard we teach our children to continue it. Until women decide to become equal citizens, we will always be second class. We are our own worst enemies.

This is ridiculous.... This is taking gender difference too far, IMHO.... It's like insisting that manholes be re-labelled people-holes, and that chairman be changed to chairwoman or chairperson...these are titles which originated way-back-when,(like Helmsman, Management, Manoevre...) they are all to do with handling, not gender...the prefix or suffix 'Man' stems from 'Mano', which means hand; it doesn't refer to the person or individual.... and kow-towing to extreme feminism is just being extreme. Things like this only matter if we are narrow-minded enough to let them matter.... to equate forenames with feminine supression is simply stretching a point too far.

Good grief.....!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Quote:

This is ridiculous.... This is taking gender difference too far, IMHO.... It's like insisting that manholes be re-labelled people-holes, and that chairman be changed to chairwoman or chairperson...these are titles which originated way-back-when,(like Helmsman, Management, Manoevre...) they are all to do with handling, not gender...the prefix or suffix 'Man' stems from 'Mano', which means hand; it doesn't refer to the person or individual.... and kow-towing to extreme feminism is just being extreme. Things like this only matter if we are narrow-minded enough to let them matter.... to equate forenames with feminine supression is simply stretching a point too far.

Good grief.....!

So naming girls boys names is OK, but the opposite is not? I am well aware of language and its influence on culture and also know full well that it is our use of it continues to keep us second class.

My letters are delivered by a personperson. And if you hang your hat on that idiocy just as you did with your other examples, then you must do some rethinking.
By the way, chairperson is now the accepted word to refer to the chair of the meeting or whatever. Actually, it has been shortened to chair.

Jan Goldfield

L
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
L
I hope she reconsiders and spells the name as "Alexander". Children in school can be cruel and that poor child will be teased about his name. I am a Grandma for the first time and my Grandson's name is Alexander. It means great and courageous. Alexandra is a girl's name and has a different meaning. Tell her the meaning of Alexander and maybe she will change her mind. Dra is different than Der and she will be giving him a girls name. Just my opinion, but I hate to see a child go through unnecessary teasing, as it makes life miserable.

Linda Hamill
HEARTBURN EDITOR
H
H
Geez...a little harsh there Jan. I think you need to relax a little. I don't think people choose not to name their little boys a typical girl name because they consider women second class citizens. I think it's more likely because children in school can be cruel and parents choose not to saddle their child with a name that will provoke teasing. I'd be interested to know what your children's names are...is your son named Kate or maybe Anna?

Parakeet
Parakeet
I don't think it has a thing to do with "feminine suppression" or anything like that.

Having names that differentiate between the genders is just PRACTICAL. There's the playground factor, of course. Also, the poor kid is one day going to meet people (job interviewers or clients, for example) who have only read his name. He could have to show ID just to prove that he is the person with the appointment. How embarrassing! What I mean by that is that no one will expect MR. Alexandra to walk through the door.

Also, the difference in names reflects that the genders are different. Not above or below, just different. I don't want to start a fight here, but I don't understand the idea that equality means giving up individual gender identities. I am glad to be able to chose my roles in life as easily as a man can, but very few people want to be mistaken for the opposite gender -on paper or otherwise. Being female is part of who I am. It isn't necessarily a defining part. My words and deeds matter more to me, but I am not one to exclude my gender from a thorough self description.

As for girls with boys' names: I can tolerate a unisex or masculine nickname on a girl for friends and family, but not for the birth certificate or formal uses. That's just me, though.

I know a young Alexandra. Her nickname uses the last 2 syllables, not the first 2. As for the mommy to be, she seriously needs to see past her infatuation with the name and think of what's better for her child.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
E
Koala
Koala
E
Jan, I know a man called Jan smile

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
remember the song a man named SUE, kids can be cruel

Rosie L
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.